Thursday, September 25, 2008

Flintshire athletes to compete in junior Commonwealth Games

Published Date: 25 September 2008 TWO of Flintshire's future sporting champions will put their skills to the test after winning a place in the Wales team to take on Commonwealth opposition.
Matthew James, 18, of Sychdyn, and Thomas Allen, of Hope, Flintshire, have been selected to represent Wales in the Commonwealth Youth Games, which will be held in the Indian city of Pune.Matthew, a tennis player and Thomas, a swimmer, will join a 37-strong team of young Welsh athletes travelling to India for the games, which begin on October 13.Matthew, who has been a keen tennis player since he was seven, said he is delighted to have been selected after devoting most of his time over the last two years to improving his skills.He said: "I have spent a lot of time training and have played all over the world in junior tournaments."Since leaving school, I have done bits of home tutoring here and there but have dedicated most of my time to keeping up with my tennis."My junior ranking was high enough this year for me to be selected and I am really pleased to be given this opportunity."The success of the athletes from Wales at the Beijing Olympics has been a real boost to me too, and I can't wait to get to Pune to compete."In total, 71 countries will be competing and many of the athletes of the future will be taking part.Thomas, a dedicated swimmer, said: "I'm really pleased to have been selected for the team and to be given the opportunity to represent my country."I'm really looking forward to the experience and will be working hard over the next weeks with final preparations for the games."Chris Jenkins, Commonwealth Games Council for Wales director, said: "The Commonwealth Youth Games are very important for young athletes, as it gives them invaluable experience of competing on an international stage."Many of the athletes taking part in the Youth Games will be strong candidates for Delhi 2010 and beyond for London in 2012."
The full article contains 348 words and appears in n/a newspaper.

No comments: