Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sorry for skipping CWG: Bolt to India

JAIPUR: Usain Bolt on Thursday apologised to Indian fans for his decision to skip the forthcoming Commonwealth Games. In an exclusive interview to TOI, world's best sprinter, and perhaps the greatest ever, also hoped that he would one day be able to make up for it.

"Sorry that I can't make it this time. Hope to see you in the future," Bolt said in a message to the Indian fans, in reply to a query from TOI.

Bolt, who holds the world record in 100m as well as 200m, was expected to be part of the Jamaican squad for the New Delhi Commonwealth Games set to be held in October.

His name was also included in the initial list of the Jamaican squad. However, his agent made it clear some days ago that Bolt would give Delhi Games a skip.

Bolt said in his latest interview to TOI on Thursday: "It would have been nice as I haven't competed in the Commonwealth Games before but the timing was wrong for me."

TOI

Excerpts from the interview:

What is the current status of your Achilles tendon injury?

It is much better now, almost healed. It is not bothering me at all at the moment and should be perfectly fine soon.

You weren't very happy with your recent race in Paris GP. Which aspect bothered you?

Actually I was quite happy with the fact that I had won it. However, I found that my strength was down due to missed training and that was a matter of concern. But then I am now trying to catch up and I hope by my next race, I would have corrected that.

Justin Gatlin is set to return next month. What do you expect from him?

To tell you the truth, I have no idea as I do not know how he has been training.

The Commonwealth Games in New Delhi was never in your focus, yet is there any disappointment in missing it?

It would have been really nice as I haven't competed in the Commonwealth Games before but the timing was all wrong for me as I need to get ready for the World Championships in 2011 and Olympic Games in 2012. Those two events are very important and all athletes focus on them. It is crucial that we remain in peak shape for them.

Was there any pressure on you to participate in the Commonwealth Games?

No, I wouldn't say there was any pressure. In fact, I wasn't thinking about it. It was up to my coach to make the decision based on what is best for my career. I am sure he made the right decision.

Indian fans are very disappointed that you won't be coming.

I am really sorry that I can't make it this time. As I said, it would have been really nice and I do hope to see you in the future.

What timings are you looking at before the season gets over?

I am confirmed in 3 races as of now - Stockholm, Zurich and Brussels. There will be good competition in all these races and I do hope to have some good timings.

Are you satisfied with the way the season has shaped up so far?

Yes, I think so. My aim before the season was to go through it unbeaten and so far I have managed to keep it that way. It has been good.

You are likely to face Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell in Stockholm. How important is that race?

It will be a good race. It will be the first time this year that all three of us will run together in the same race. The competition will be good and each one of us will be tested.

You are a passionate follower of cricket. How would you compare Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting and Brian Lara?

They each bring different styles to the game and each are masters of their specific craft. They have helped to keep cricket popular, especially in their respective regions.

Would you be willing to visit India for some competition at a later date?

Absolutely. I do hope I get to visit India one day in the near future.

No comments: