Tuesday, September 28, 2010

After Olympics, Kipruto eyes CWG medal

NEW DELHI: Kenya's 3000m steeplechase champion Brimin Kipruto starts as the favourite in his event at the Commonwealth Games. Yet, the Beijing Games gold medallist knows it won't be an easy race given the tough competition. In a chat with TOI, Kipruto talked about his expectations from the Delhi Games and looked forward to the London Olympics in 2012. Excerpts...

You have won almost everything that is there to be won. What else are you aiming at?

It is a good feeling to have won so many international medals, but then I have never won the Commonwealth Games. I would really want to win that title.

What are the chances of winning one at New Delhi?

This year I ran a new personal best and I am in good form. That is a good sign ahead. I hope I will be able to do well.

After the Beijing Olympics, there was a dip in your form. Why was that?

I am very proud to be Olympic Champion in 2008. It was indeed a great effort, and it gave me immense pleasure. Maybe 2009 was not my best year. I wasn't getting the type of timing that I would have liked. But this year I am better than ever and have run some pretty good races.

Do you plan to compete in events other than the 3000m steeplechase?

No. Right now, I will focus only on the steeplechase. That is my main event and I think I'll be able to get some results.

In the Commonwealth Games, who will be your main competitors?

The Kenyan team will be strong as there are quite a few good runners. The team from Uganda is also quite strong and its runners can pose a good challenge.

Have you found out about the conditions in Delhi in October?

The Indian authorities have been working hard to provide the best of conditions. I am confident that they will organise the Games as well as possible. A lot of effort has been put into it and I am not really worried about the conditions.

What are your expectations from the London Olympics?

It will be a tough race as the best competitors will be there to win medals. It won't be easy, but I hope to defend my Olympic title.

After Beijing, you'll be expected to do well in London. How will you cope up with the pressure?

I have medals from the Olympic Games in Athens 2004, the World Championships in Helsinki in 2005, World Championships in Osaka 2007, and Olympics in Beijing 2008. So I know what it is to perform and achieve under pressure. I think I will be up to it.

TOI

No comments: