Thursday, September 30, 2010

Volunteers too find novel ways to loot

NEW DELHI: If corruption has been the byword leading up to the Commonwealth Games, can the volunteers be far behind? Apart from the high rate of attrition affecting the volunteers programme at the Commonwealth Games, there are also multiple instances of people taking undue advantage of the situation. The common notion among volunteers is, if the officials are corrupt, why should they have any qualms fleecing the state's resources?

One such person, who 'benefited' from a scam, boasted how he hustled away with surplus kit. "I had applied for the volunteer programme but I wasn't too serious about it. I thought that I would take the kit and then decide. Then I was approached by certain individuals who asked me whether I intended to pursue it, and I showed my reluctance," he told TOI.

"They struck a deal with me, offering to delete the data (that I had already received the kit) and asked me to come back another day and collect it again. He said that we would split the extra kit, and I was all for it. Why should I feel guilty? The Commonwealth Games is all about corruption," he added.

There you have it, straight from the horse's mouth.

TOI

No comments: